Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Sold: One Beat Up 1977 Honda CT125 from a Dallas Cowboy!

1977 Honda CT125

Lately I've been keeping an eye out on craigslist for an old vintage bike to pick up and restore. I've done this once before with an piece of crap 1999 Honda XR 200R that I picked up a few years ago, half of it was in a box. I'll add a couple of pictures of the old XR too. That was a fun project but I wanted something a little less involved this time, something that didn't come with the engine in a box. The last project was mostly for fun, basically a winter project to keep me busy but not to make any profit. I ended up spending a little bit too much time on the plastics making them perfect.
1999 XR 200R Before


1999 XR 200R After
Anyways, back to the point of the story. I searched and searched and finally found an ad for this old 77 you see in the back of my truck. It was for sale for $675. I called the guy and talked to him about it, explained I didn't know a lot about the bike and what it was worth but I was interested. We sort of agreed on a probable sale at $500. for the bike. I'm in North Dallas and he lived down in Valley Ranch so I was trying to fit something into my schedule to get down and check out the bike. So I started working out the details with Sean (the seller).

1977 Honda CT125
1977 Honda CT125
To make a longer story short, he offered to bring the bike up to me. He said he had the time because he was on vacation. So we agree to meet the next day around lunch. I show up and wait a few minutes and then see him show up with the bike in the back of his truck. He gets out (big fellow) and we shake hands and introduce ourselves. Then I got up in the back up his truck and checked out the bike. I fired it up and went over it. I had a meeting to get to and not a lot of time, plus it's an old ass bike that has good compression and fires up so it sort of is what it is. So I said let's do it and we started getting the bike out of the back of his truck. I held the steering wheel and he pretty much picked up up out of the back of the truck and put it on the pavement. He'd asked me what I did when we were looking it over and we sort of had a bit of small talk.

Once we had the bike loaded in my truck I asked him what he did and he said humbly "I play football" I said "oh cool (thinking yeah this guy could play some ball)" and then I asked him for what team. Then he said "The Cowboys". I said, "oh cool" half embarrassed that I didn't recognize him and half not wanting to seem like an idiot flabbergasted fan.  Anyways from there it was Bill of Sale some small talk and that was the deal.

All and all, it was a really cool experience. He was really nice and it was interesting to me that a guy that just signed a 3 year $3 million extension with a $2 million bonus was even messing around with this bike and the time it took to sell it on Craigslist and deliver it.  This guy was super grounded, polite, and just as humble as they came. I'm glad I picked this bike. BTW it was Sean Lissemore.


No comments:

Post a Comment